I'm off. I left Cowes this morning at 4.

I'm off.
I left Cowes this morning at 4.15 and two hours later i'm clearing the Needles.
The tide is with me and we're moving very fast in a brisk 25 knots of wind. The wind is set to increase later so i'm not sure if i'll stop go dartmouth or press on, we'll see.
Well, finally we're off.
Marco.

Ready to go

I spent the weekend doing the last few odd jobs on the boat and had a chance to go out and take a few picures in the Solent, at 30+ knots I had 3 reefs in the main and the number 4 rather than a nice colourful kite but it was a nice chance to check that all the heavy weather gear was in order before setting off for the bluQube Solo 1000... Wednesday I'll leave Cowes heading for Mylor and I'm feeling ready to go.

Marco.

British Beagle

South Pacific storm brings drama to the plot

If this were a movie the last two days would have made for some nice drama
on the high seas, imagine the context, a fleet of racing boats headed for
Cape Horn, a South Pacific gale battering the fleet, huge waves crashing
against the boat through the night, the constant noise of haliards hitting
the mast, leech lines flapping, autopilot ram overloaded, water sloshing
in the bilges, the smell of your own boots turning your stomach inside
out, wet, cold, miserable...

The sat phone rings, no one has ever called us on the satphone, you
suspect it will not be Bart Simpson pulling one of his Moe's phone pranks,
who is it then? Another competitor on the end of the blurred satellite
line sounding emotional sums the reality of the situation "we are
considering retiring". This is always tricky, the decision to sail or
retire lies with the skipper(s) of the boat, you are divided between the
desire to convince them to carry on racing and the thought that if they
carry on and something happens you may have added unecessary pressure on
them to carry on... so i suggested what my grandmother always told me as a
child, "go to sleep and decide tomorrow"...

A few hours later we receive an email from the race committee, two boats
are heading north riding the gale, they have not yet retired but are
heading for Aukland, one has suffered damage to boat and crew, the other
fears the same fate and decided it is unsafe to carry on.

I only then realise it's for real, I stop watching the latest Jennifer
Aniston film on the pc (a masterpiece of great acting and intense
storyline that surely deserves my undivided attention) and wake up Hugo
who emerges from under the sleeping bag stretching his arms "wassup dude?"
he's clearly watched too many of the american college movies we have on
the hard drive.

At that stage we were sailing under triple reefed main and staysail in
35-45 knots of wind occasionally gusting 50, we were consciously trying to
keep warm and dry, fed and slept, and only went outside in the cockpit
when strickly necessary. We discussed the situation but as we had no
damage and we didnt feel the boat was in any specific immediate danger we
decide to press on.

It is sad to see two boats doing a U turn, the fear of damage is always
strong and i hope that we'll carry on sailing in safety with no surprises
all the way to the finish line.

This storm is over, we are again under full mainsail and headsail heading
for now in the right direction. Who knows what the future of the race will
bring but i hope to find a movie to watch that does not require external
drama to thicken the plot.

Bravi.La decisione di non by Miki (not verified)